15 March 2017

Falling for the Beast


From Amazon:

"Aribelle is backed into the position of cleaning house for the horrible Mr. Thaddeus Walker. Not only is he rude, he's dangerously secretive, going out at night and coming home with injuries which seem to heal mysteriously fast. She should be keeping her distance, not trying to break down his barriers. But the more she uncovers, the more attracted she becomes until the cost of exposing his secrets fades behind the risk of losing her heart.

Thaddeus knows he should have sent the girl away instead of allowing her into his home. Now she's asking questions he can't answer. And the more time they spend together, the more he wishes he could pull her close and kiss her. But he can't afford to do that. Beautiful Aribelle could never love a beast."

*****

Falling for the Beast is a clean romance. The setting is good and the characters seem very true to the Disney original, just moving in an updated world. On the other hand, there is a lack of depth to this book that really niggled at me--there was nothing that created emotional resonance for me. I didn't feel like I ever got into the characters' heads, as most of the story was *told* to me, instead of shown to me. For me, that is a make it or break it point. Other than that, the story moves quickly and hit all the right plot points. If you're looking for a sweet take on a modern Beauty and the Beast retelling, this will fit the bill.

Gentle Reader Alert: I found nothing of concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment