20 September 2016

The Second Season


"Caroline is not looking forward to this year's Season in London. Her mother already has schemes for her marriage prospects--and none of them include love, it seems. But when a dashing young duke begins to pursue her, Caroline has second thoughts. Caught between ambition and desire, Caroline may gamble her heart away without even realizing it . . ."

There are few things in life I love more than a good Regency romance. I blame Jane Austen for setting a high bar...and for getting me sucked into the genre in the first place. Georgette Heyer's madcap plots continued my addiction, and since discovering her works a few years ago, I've read SO MANY Regency romances! And they run the gamut from well-written and well-researched to a poor excuse for smut in stays. 

Happily, The Second Season falls firmly in the well-written and well-researched category. Ms. Chapman has done a phenomenal job of making Regency-era habits feel normal as her characters move through their lives. The plot is excellent...but atypical for its genre. Caroline and Thomas and Lord Searly are well-drawn, and the subplot involving Caroline's parents adds great depth to the story. The ending was extremely satisfying. I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it. 

Gentle Reader Alert: I found absolutely nothing of concern.


You can find The Second Season on Amazon and the book trailer below:



And on to the interview with Heather Chapman!

1. What sets your writing routine apart from other routines? Do you have any lucky socks you have to wear, certain music you have to listen to, an inspiring picture to look at?

 My writing routine… I guess the thing that sets my writing routine apart from other routines is how irregular it is. I have four kids that are each fighting for my attention, which makes it hard to get things like laundry, lunch, and showering done, let alone even being able to think well enough to write. In general, I wait until the kids are in bed (yes, I’ve become that super strict bedtime mom), hop into some comfy yoga pants, and start to write. I find that I am most creative with a bag of Aussie Licorice and Dove chocolates (or at least that’s the excuse I give).


2. What’s the most important life lesson you’ve learned so far?

It has to be about kindness. Over and over, again and again, I keep learning that the world is such a better place when everyone can be less critical, less judgmental, and more kind.


3. If you were stuck on a luxury island and told you had three days to do anything you wanted, what would you do?

Easy. I would want to rock climb the coastal cliffs, swim along the beach, and eat all sorts of delicious food.


4. Who has had the most influence on your writing? 

Linda Bartlett, my seventh grade English teacher. Though I can vividly remember her colorful outfits, poofy blonde hair, and long fake nails that drummed across the overhead projector, it was Mrs. Bartlett’s ability to make writing fun that has stuck with me the most. She taught me more about writing than anyone else (though I’d like to think I have also been influenced by my favorite authors). The funny part is, I don’t think Linda Bartlett would even remember me—I was pretty quiet in class!


 5. Tell us about the view from your favorite window. My favorite view is from my dining room window. 

During the summer and fall months, tall, golden sunflowers reach the bottom of the window. Beneath lies green grass and my favorite willow tree. Beyond our yard lies the snake river highlands. The small mountain range turns all different colors during the fall, and the Bear River that winds below it offers patches of brightly colored shrubs. If it weren’t for the telephone pole and lines in my backyard, I’d say the view is absolutely perfect. However, it’s become my favorite scene, so much so that I don’t even notice the telephone lines anymore (unless I am asked to describe it).

 Thanks for the delightful book AND interview, Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment