31 May 2016

Remember Jamie Baker AND Interview with Kelly Oram!

Not too long ago, I reviewed Being Jamie Baker, the first in the Jamie Baker trilogy. The second book, More Than Jamie Baker, pulls off a difficult feat--it's not a boring bridge between the first and third books in the trilogy. Instead, Jamie comes into her powers and learns of better ways to use them for good, she tangles with the media, and the book ends on a cliffhanger that made my jaw drop. It's full of laughs and tears and suspense--really, an excellent sequel.

It's been a few years since More Than Jamie Baker was released, but the wait for Remember Jamie Baker was more than worth it.



From Goodreads:
"Remember Jamie Baker is the explosive and long awaited conclusion to the Jamie Baker trilogy.

Plagued by memory loss, Jamie Baker searches high and low for the answers to who she is, where she comes from, and why she’s able to do things other humans can’t. A not-so-simple task when she’s hiding from the people responsible for her amnesia—an evil scientific research company that wants to capture her at any cost.

When Jamie’s quest for the truth reveals a devastating betrayal from the one person she thought she could trust, she’s forced to team up with a secret military organization in order to ensure her safety and stop Visticorp’s horrific human experimenting once and for all."


The final book in Jamie's story is a gripping, exciting read. As I mentioned in my initial Jamie Baker review, Jamie is one of those characters who has earned the right to tears and anger and confusion. Though highly emotional, in stark contrast to your stereotypical stoic superhero, Jamie has endured her trials like a boss. Her amnesia now dominates the story as she tries to determine how she and her nifty powers fit into this new world she inhabits--a world she has no memory of. But as Jamie slowly learns to trust the people she falls in with, she forges a place for herself, even though her memory loss remains. And when her new world and her old world collide, it creates a fascinating conversation of what it means to be a person and how our memories influence everything we do--from the formation of our opinions to our behavior to the people we fall in love with.

Full of great one-liners and intense longing, Remember Jamie Baker is a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. Readers will appreciate the new friends Jamie makes, the measures she takes to restore her memory, and the return of Ryan Miller. OH YES. That charming combination of ego and sunshine does show up. I promise. And it's epic.

Gentle Reader Alert: There are some swears in the story, but nothing beyond a PG-13.

And now, introducing Kelly Oram!


Kelly Oram wrote her first novel at age fifteen–a fan fiction about her favorite music group, The Backstreet Boys, for which her family and friends still tease her. She’s obsessed with reading, talks way too much, and likes to eat frosting by the spoonful. She lives outside of Phoenix, Arizona with her husband, four children, and her cat, Mr. Darcy.

Kelly is wicked awesome--she granted my wish and answered some offbeat interview questions for me. YAY! If you'd like to read a very comprehensive interview with more typical questions, follow this link to Kelly Oram Land.

1. You can have any superhero power you want but you're trapped in a book. What power do you have and what book are you trapped in? Why? 
This is so hard. There are so many options! Um... let's go with being stuck in The Mortal Instruments series because I would LOVE to be a shadow hunter in Jace and Clary's crew. I think my superpower would be to have Superman's impervious man-of-steel skin. I don't need the strength and speed or anything because I would totally have Isabelle, Alec, and Jace teach me to be a mad-awesome warrior ninja the regular way. But I'd like to not get injured so much when fighting demons. No broken bones, no stab wounds, no demon poisoning... Just me doing all the butt kicking surrounded by hotties like Jace, Alec, Magnus, and Simon!!! <3
Ok, I really, really like that answer. The man-of-steel skin + training with the Shadow Hunters would be so EPIC! 

 2. Is there anything in your earlier books that you wish you could go back and change?
I think, if I could, I'd take one more pass at Chameleon. I'd soften Dani up just a little bit more and tone down the love triangle just a tad. I love the story, but it was my first attempt at a love triangle, and when I go back and read it, I think it could benefit from a little more subtlety.
Interesting. Dani's intense emotions fuel Russ' responses and his subsequent action, so I think it works. But that's just my opinion. :D

 3. What's the most transcendent piece of wisdom you've acquired so far in your life?
Oh. This one is easy. When you go into labor, eat something before you go to the hospital!!! When I had my first child I went to bed with an upset stomach the night before my water broke, and I skipped dinner. Then my water broke when I woke up and I was so nervous/excited that I didn't eat breakfast before I went to the hospital. Then I realized the hospital won't allow you to eat or drink anything while you're in labor. 30 HOURS LATER, I had an emergency c-section and had lots of post-op complications. I was put on a clear liquid diet for over a week. So by the time I was allowed to eat real food again it had been over 10 days or something. And I'll tell you what, those 30 hours of labor while STARVING because I already hadn't eaten for almost a day before going to the hospital were absolute misery. So ladies, eat a really good/yummy meal before you go to the hospital because labor on an empty stomach sucks!!
HO.LY. CRAP. OK, that's a tough time! I will never complain about my long labors ever again. :) I bet the first thing you ate after getting off the liquid diet tasted like heaven. I know it would to me!

Thanks for playing, Kelly! Come by again anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment