10 October 2015

RETRO REVIEW: Edenbrooke



From Goodreads:
"Marianne Daventry will do anything to escape the boredom of Bath and the amorous attentions of an unwanted suitor. So when an invitation arrives from her twin sister, Cecily, to join her at a sprawling country estate, she jumps at the chance. Thinking she'll be able to relax and enjoy her beloved English countryside while her sister snags the handsome heir of Edenbrooke, Marianne finds that even the best laid plans can go awry. From a terrifying run-in with a highwayman to a seemingly harmless flirtation, Marianne finds herself embroiled in an unexpected adventure filled with enough romance and intrigue to keep her mind racing. Will Marianne be able to rein in her traitorous heart, or will a mysterious stranger sweep her off her feet? Fate had something other than a relaxing summer in mind when it sent Marianne to Edenbrooke."

~~~~~

My reading tastes vary, far and wide, but above all, I love a good Regency romance. I can read Jane Austen's novels again and again, and I have a great love for Georgette Heyer. (Don't ask me about the Brontes--they are not my cup of tea.) So when I get my hands on a modern Regency romance, I'm usually pretty excited to read it. I have met with disappointment--modern Regency romances don't always follow Regency morals, if you get my drift, and I'm not into the Harlequin scene. You can imagine that when I came across Edenbrooke a couple of years ago, I was absolutely delighted.

The success of the story rests on the characters' shoulders. Marianne and Philip are both lovable and vulnerable--their weaknesses are not unsavory and don't undermine the strength of the rest of their character. Marianne's misunderstandings, which she brings on herself, are reasonably realistic for someone of her age and experience. Her sense of humor doesn't feel forced, but is an authentic part of her complete self. Philip's passion and determination to be honorable are brilliantly done. It's very easy to root for these two to get together. The plot is believable and not contrived, and put together with the milieu, it all hangs together very well.

I enjoy reading Edenbrooke so much that I've read it four times in the last three years--high marks indeed. And Ms. Donaldson has announced a story about Philip--Heir to Edenbrooke--that I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on in the near future.

Gentle Reader Alert: I found nothing of concern.

2 comments:

  1. I also love this book and have read it over and over. Her milk maid song is a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES IT IS. It's one of the best parts of the story!

    ReplyDelete